Monday, February 28, 2011

dispatches from the artic


I thought I would just mention now, because I forgot to complain about it last week, that it was colder than a well diggers butt in San Fran.

I froze my tootsies off.  But man oh man,  we ate a trail across the city the likes of which my belly has never seen!  

We started with French food, because well, you know. It's French.  And at the frou frou frenchy cafe', we started with escargot.  In case you are wondering, because I always did, they taste exactly like a garlicky, buttery mushroom.  Exactly. But they are like a billion times more expensive, so next time I will just ask them to stuff some mushrooms into the shells so I can still use the little frou frou shell holders and fork to eat them.  I like to feel fancy.

We went to an art museum where I saw a Monet that I almost stole except I'm just not smart enough to pull it off.  In fact, I spent most of my time in the museum feeling like a great big poser. Which is really weird because when I was in collage I loved my art history classes and felt totally at home in museums.

You see what kids will do to you? They make you feel like you can't even act civilized. And damn it, I like art. I know a fair bit about it. I should be able to enjoy it.

Can you even imagine having your own Monet? I mean really.  How dreamy.

The Chinese New Year Parade was a let down.  I was hoping for a really big show. It lasted forever, but it was mostly local schools and dance groups. It quickly became obvious to us that most of the onlookers where parents waiting for their kid.

We skipped out early because we had more eating to do.  Which we did. And then we rolled our bloated bodies back to the hotel. 

Where we had dessert.

You get the picture.

The Sugar Daddy is running a half marathon next month so he and his running buddy braved the cold weather to run from our hotel out across the Golden Gate Bridge.  They had a great time and I think it was the highlight of the trip for them.



I slept in which might be the highlight of the trip for me.

San Fran I love ya. But your bitter cold rain this fair weather girl can do without.

Catch you in August?

5 comments:

Amy said...

What a bummer about the weather and the parade. I always thought it would be fun to see the parade. I'm glad you had a good time, though. Ah. . .San Francisco!

Is that a Miette bag I spy? If so, I want to hear about what you had a Miette! Hey, sometimes a girl needs do a little vicarious living, right? It's been too long since I've been to San Francisco. I'm from the Bay Area, but it's been almost a year, and the last time was with my kids-just not the same!

OK, now I'm sounding a little home sick. I think I need to go call my dad. . . . .

Kari said...

You're from Utah, woman! Where we had a foot of snow on Friday. California's made you soft. Suck it up, pansy!

Unknown said...

Um excuse me. But I'd just like to say that I was living in Utah as a minor. It wasn't my choice and I nearly didn't survive my freezing cold childhood.

Gina said...

Not August. August is pretty much the most miserable month of the year in San Francisco. It's the month the sun doesn't shine. It's cold and damp. The fog settles in on the first and doesn't leave until September comes. If you want nice weather, I think you should consider September or October. They are the sunnier months.

Bev Gerard said...

Ohhhhhhhhhh ... so sorry.
I do adore the foods in San Francisco ... but it's all so much better-better when you're not freezing all over. (Yep ... we all froze there once, spending time & money shopping for sweatshirts instead of "savoring" as we would have preferred.)