Wednesday, December 28, 2011

the thing about owls...


Have you noticed the owl craze? Is that a stupid question?

I like owls. Not in the way most people like them. Not cutesy owls. Not cartoon owls on onsies.

But I do like owls and I'll tell you why.

First, when I was a kid, there was a owl that lived in the rafters of an old barn where I used to play with my sisters.  I think of that owl as the Cheshire cat of my childhood.

Second, owls are one of the very few bird species where the female is bigger, more colorful and more aggressive than the males.  I say damn strait to that.

Third, owls are the animals most associated with wisdom. In fact, a group of owls is called a parliament, study or wisdom. (I make it a point to learn what groups of animals are called. Not sure why. I just feel a need to know. Don't laugh. I might win Jeopardy some day.)

My personal theory on this is their silent nature.  People tend to think you are smart until you open your mouth and start talking.

I want to work on listening more and talking less. I want to be wiser in this coming year. I want to spend more time listening to that little voice deep inside that tells me what is right and what is wrong.  I want to sit still and observe instead of directing all the time.

I bought this piece of art from my friend Matt and hung it on my wall to remind me of these things that are my heart's desire.

I also like foxes.

But I'll tell you about that another day.

5 comments:

Jamie and Shane said...

I am kind of "over" the owls, but I like your take on it. I heard that the fox was the new "owl", so I guess you are on the right track:) (As if you care if something you like is popular....I can tell you don't. I don't either, and that's why I think we would be friends in real life.) (At least I hope so!) Jamie in AZ

Elizabeth said...

I, too, have always been attracted to and loved owls. As a child in the seventies, I had a huge owl collection and even hooked an owl rug that hung over the collection. Oh, the seventies! I wish that I'd saved some of them and find it wild and interesting that they've made such a comeback.

Jessa said...

No joke, I just jumped over to your blog from having ordered an cartoon owl onesie for my daughter. Cutesie, admittedly, but designed by me for the annual LadyFest my girlfriends and I meet up for. I designed the t-shirts (and matching onesie for my little gal who's still nursing so gets to come to LadyFest) on Custom Ink and I love them. They're owl-tastic.

Your wise owl is quite handsome. An auspicious image for the New Year. Have a happy one!

Unknown said...

Um yes, I am over the owl. Not the real ones, love them, just all the other ones!

I do alot of retailing at boutique handmade markets here in Australia and i can tell you, that owl, he is everywhere!

I am in love with gnomes, cannot possibly get enough of them!

Jacq

E and J said...

I guess I am late on the bandwagon. I am ALWAYS late on the bandwagon. I'm not sure I like something until it's already out the door. I inherited a beautiful jeweled owl necklace from my grandmother. Now owls are my thing. And I'm not sure, with the sentimental value of my owl, that I will outgrow this fad.